SKIRTSAFIRE FESTIVAL | March 4-14, 2021 | “Going the Distance”
Be a part of SkirtsAfire 2021! We’re calling artists of all kinds to submit for several events in our 10 day festival. Apply now!
SkirtsAfire is a growing theatre and multidisciplinary arts festival that features the work of women-identifying artists in conjunction with International Women’s Day, March 4-14, 2021. We produce and present passionate, provocative, moving and entertaining performances, exhibits and workshops.
As we head into our 9th year, and in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, our festival will be looking and operating quite differently. With the safety of our artists, staff, and audience as top priority, we will be minimizing festival programming and venues. This way, we will be able to best integrate health check-ins, physical distancing and sanitation procedures.
We at SkirtsAfire truly believe in the magic of live theatre and performance, and are doing everything we can to continue creating our platform for women in the arts in a way that brings people together to experience performances in a shared setting.
SkirtsAfire Festival values diversity in the women we represent. We welcome submissions from women artists of all diverse backgrounds including trans women, self-identifying women, all ethnicities and all abilities.
- Single performers must be women-identifying. For performance groups, women must be the driving force in the troupe. The theme for 2021 is “Going the Distance.”
- A troupe or group of artists performing together must agree to be in a ‘cohort’ for the duration of the festival including rehearsals and performance. Keep in mind that distancing will still need to be a part of the performance once in the performance venue.
- SkirtsAfire is currently seeking artists for live performances including:
- Solo, duo and trio music performances (singer-songwriters, acoustic sets, instrumentalists etc.). Plexiglass barriers will be used in our 2021 festival.
- A-Line Variety Show (Singers, Musicians, Dancers, Comedy Acts, Cabaret Acts, Spoken Word Artists, Magicians, and more!)
- Curated Dance events
- SkirtsAfire is also accepting short film submissions with a focus on women (women-created, women’s stories, mainly women cast, etc.)
- Got an idea? We’d love to hear it! Let us know if you think of something outside-the-box that is Covid-performance friendly.
Please fill out our online Artist Submission Form to apply.
Deadline for submissions is September 1, 2020.
Find out more information about the festival here!